...Matt could eat two sloppy joes plus my leftovers.
...I could eat three pieces of pizza.
...Vera could eat a whole pack of crackers if we'd let her.
Now...
...Matt was full after one sloppy joe...no room for my leftovers.
...I was full after a few fries and half a piece of pizza.
...Vera walks around holding on to her crackers instead of eating them.
Why???
If we only knew! What a trip! We spent a couple of days prior to our conference exploring Chiang Mai, Thailand and then headed up to the Suan Bua Resort in the mountains of Chiang Mai. When we checked in with Jian Hua there were signs everywhere--"WASH YOUR HANDS!" They were also giving out free hand sanitizer. We laughed figuring everyone was being a little paranoid. That night at our first meeting we found out why. We were told that for the past month every group at the conference center has had about 80% of their people sick. We were told only 10-12 people on sight were sick, so the sickness seemed to have run its course. We were told that if we did happen to get sick, it would start around the second day and last about 24 hours. It would be either vomitting OR diarrhea. It didn't seem to affect children. The second night I was awoken by a sick husband. The next afternoon a friend was watching Vera as I joined Matt among the ranks of the ill. That night I was awoken by a sick daughter. Everything they told us at the beginning of the conference was proven wrong by our group. And the reason only 10-12 people had it when we got there--the group had been there long enought that they had already been through it! The health department was investigating, but it's still unclear what was causing everyone to get sick... Food poisioning? Contaminated water? A virus? Who knows... Matt and I are doing much better, though we still don't have much of an appetite. However, Vera still has diarrhea and little to no appetite. :( Poor baby! She ate a little tonight and seems to be sleeping better, so hopefully she'll recover within the next couple of days.
We did enjoy the part of the conference that we were well for. We also enjoyed the laid back atmosphere that came as a result of so many people not feeling well. We did a lot of sitting around and getting to know many more people than we did last year. That part of the conference we enjoyed very much.
Needless to say, Jian Hua has decided not to return the the Suan Bua next year! Matt and I are hoping they will decide to return to a different location in Chiang Mai. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
We only took...oh...maybe three pictures the whole week. I'll see if I can get those posted sometime during the next couple of days.
It's good to be home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Michelle! That's horrible! I'm glad you all are beginning to feel better. To me, there is no worse kind of sick!!
Oh you poor things! It must be good to be home!
Oh Michelle! I am so sorry to hear that you guys got it! Sounds awful and alot like something we have had twice this year here. Sooo many of our friends around the US have had it too. It's yucky!
I'm glad you guys are back home and feeling better.
The kids got their postcards!!!! Thank you soooo much Michelle- they were thrilled. Emmy said as she was touching the envelope "Wow mom, a chinese person in China actually touched this envelope before it got to us"! She was cracking me up! I'll post pictures soon of our Chinese new year and the kids with the cards!
Post a Comment