Lots of people say Vera looks like her daddy, but there are definitely some things about her personality that are a lot like her mommy. Take for instance, sleep. She loves to sleep! She'll sleep twelve hours through the night no problem, and then sleep about two hours in the afternoon. We've never had a problem getting her to sleep. As a matter of fact, it used to be that when we told her it was time to go night night, she would happily run to her crib and try to climb in. That was before the move.
Now... She doesn't want to go to sleep. Once she is asleep, she likes to wake up a few hours later and scream. When I go get her, I'm commanded, "Mommy, lay down!" I lay down for a few minutes, try to get out of bed, another scream, "Mommy, lay down!" Last night this was the battle...for two hours! What did I finally do? Lay down. Not what I wanted. Can I blame her? When I was a little girl I remember falling asleep in my own bed, waking during the night, going to my mom's bed, and waking there the next morning. Can I blame her for wanting mommy by her side? I remember what it was like to crawl in the comfort and security of mom's bed. I understand! I think that's why it's so hard for me to not just lay down and rest peacefully by my side.
Well, after about an hour and a half of the screaming, we moved the crib back to her bedroom, put her in it, and came out to the living room to see what would happen next. She screamed. She screamed some more. Then, we realized the scream was getting closer...and closer...and CLOSER! There she was, standing next to us. The crib is now gone. Disassembled. Hoping for the day when another Snead can rest peacefully inside of those rails.
So, what did we do tonight. We put her in bed, told her we were turning out the light and closing the door. She screamed. She grabbed her pillow, her blanket, and her pacifiers and came to open the door which she can't open. After screaming, we heard through her cries, "Night night." She climbed into bed. A moment later, more screaming. Again she came to the door. Again, "Night night." A third time, the same thing. I just went in to check on her a few minutes ago. I couldn't get the door open! Yes, she's asleep with her pillow, her blanket, and her pacifiers in front of her bedroom door. I thought about moving her, but I figure it probably won't do any good. I'll just leave her there...until she wakes at 2:30...screaming. Tonight, however, I won't be awake for two hours. I won't sleep in her bed. I will stay strong...
...I hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment