Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"What you watchin'?"

Vera has been quite a handful lately. It's like she suddenly entered "the terrible twos". One area that she's really been testing us is bedtime. It's easy to get frustrated, but the things she says sure make it hard not to laugh. A few examples from the last few nights...

Moments after turning the TV on:
V: (coming out of her room well after we put her down) I have a bruise on my knee.
Us: Vera, go back to bed.
V: (on the way back) What you watchin'?

Another night, again just moments after turning the TV on:
V: (again, coming out of her room) Look, Mommy, I found it! (a toy)
Us: Vera, go back to bed.
V: (looking back) What you watchin'?

Last night, about two hours AFTER she went to bed, and again, just after turning the TV on:
V: (finger sticking up) I have a booger!
Us: (handing her a tissue) Vera, go back to bed.
V: What you watchin'?

Tonight, just before bedtime:
Us: Vera, tonight you need to stay in bed. Don't get out of bed after we tuck you in.
V: Don't watch TV.

If we had any doubts about why she was getting up, that statement settled it for us!

As for everything else, things are going pretty well. For now we are all back into the normal routine--Matt working, Vera going to school in the morning, Michelle going to the orphanage most mornings, mommy and Vera hanging out at home in the afternoons. The baby seems to be doing very well. He is growing and kicking. Vera likes to put her hand on my belly and say, "Wow. He's moving." I don't think she's ever felt the baby move, but she sure pretends to. She likes to rub my belly, put her head on it, and poke at my "outie" belly button. I know she's going to have a hard time when the baby is here and starts getting my attention, but I also know she's going to love having a little brother around.

Here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks. I have TONS more to go through. Hopefully it won't be a month and a half before I get more posted. :)


















Helping Daddy with some shopping. Notice V's fan club in the background.

















Our little doggy.

















Yes, he's even in China!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Very funny!!! I love the composition of the first photo. Matt did a great job capturing the scene...too cute!!! Yes, Vera will have a lot to get accustomed to when the baby arrives. By the way, are you using the same naming convention for the boy as you did for Vera? Just wondering...

Unknown said...

that is so classic! i love the honesty of children. she's such a sweet girl & you're a great mom!!

beth said...

Have you ever read Bedtime for Frances? Vera's bedtime queries remind me of that book. It's about a little girl (actually a little badger girl) who keeps getting up out of bed for different reasons and how her father finally gets her to stay in bed.

Like Melanie, I love that first picture! It's great.

Spirit of Adoption said...

That is hilarious! Kids are so aware, aren't they....and SMART!!! ; ) I love how she has something different to come tell you each time, but ultimately is coming for something totally different! : )

She looks a lot like Matt to me in those pics!!! : )

Anonymous said...

Loved seeing the pictures Michelle! Glad your back to blogging- I missed you.